Saturday, April 2, 2011

Engineerium Extravaganza

After the field trip I took my students on yesterday, I reserve the right to say that they are the best group of kids. EVER. I love every single one of them for their own little idiosyncratic reasons. I took half of my students (and will take the other half next Friday) to the Engineerium, which is part of Science City in Union Station. I have been to Science City with my middle school students in the past, but this was the first time I have taken high-schoolers there. We received multiple compliments from the staff there throughout the day, saying things like this was the best group of high school students they had seen yet (insert proud teacher face here).


The Engineerium is so cool! If anyone has kids who like to work with computers, build lego robotics, or anything of that sort, I highly recommend the place! They conduct a 2-hour workshop where the students learn how to be both programmers and builders using their lego robotics program. After they learn the basics, they are presented with a challenge mission that they must fulfill (ours was to rescue our lego people while dodging various barriers in the path). My kids did so awesome and they loved the hands-on experience!! I wish I had the software and supplies back at school so I could teach a unit on it in my engineering classes!

The day was a huge success, and I took lots of pictures to share....I also couldn't resist posting some pictures of the suspended balance bike from Science City...my kids were so terrified on it!!

Tuong and Duy programming

Isoke, Yesica, Duy, Tuong, Daejah, & Kimani testing their robots on the challenge course

My dad working with Arron on programming

Yesica and Dalia building their robot

Tuong was so scared, it was hilarious!!

Duy

That's me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment